Thursday, December 27, 2007

Full Throttle..

23rd, December 2007

My first riding 'event' with Roadshakers!

We were to ride up to Sianghad fort. Attendees were to be paired randomly. Then trek up to the fort in pairs, collect a coupon from a volunteer stationed above and race down to the base. Put on the riding gear and ride up to the fort. The winners were to get attractive prizes.

I was more excited about the whole experience than the prize.

This event was also the first in the series to pull up our socks in terms of our stamina. And this need was felt very strongly by the club and the members.

So I was expecting it to be hotly contested event with loads of fun.

On the day of the event about 9 Roadshakers turned up at our rendezvous point. Even though the count was low than what I had expected I was glad to see these guys. I was still hoping to see some more guys at the base of Sianghad fort.

As the clock ticked half past seven we decided to proceed to the base where the event had been planned.

Sidhu decided to lead with Ram being the sweeper.

Though we started in a single file I saw the others disappear in front of me. I was to be at the tail of the person in front of me but he was just too fast for me. I was hesitant about opening the throttle as Chaos was still new and was running in.

Soon I realised I needed to as I was not only slowing down Ram, who was right on my tail, but also the group in front of me.

..60..70..

I crossed 80..

This was the first time in two months I had crossed 80 and the feel was completely different.

Till today I was happy riding through the breeze blowing at me.., now I was happier creating my own wind..

Soon we caught up with the rest of the group while they were refueling at the gas station.

From then on I decided not to let the person in front disappear again.

But soon I realised how wrong I was.

After a good chase I lost the tail again only to be left behind. That’s when I appreciated the functionality of the sweeper. Ensure that the no man is left behind.

Soon we were off the highway on to a busy road which led to Sianghad.
For a moment I was delighted to see the turns and the curves thinking it will slow down the whole ride.

Soon I realised I was wrong again.

This beast is powerful.
True.
But I had never seen anyone riding them at such speeds.

I mean I am from a different school of thought.
For me the machine is about sophistication, a unique style and a classiness of its own, which makes riding graceful and elegant.
It is as much different from other bikes as much as boys are from men.

Anyways all these thoughts were being brutally crushed by these guys who were busy auditioning for the ‘Dhoom’ series..

Soon I was left behind with my shadow and of course, Ram who was throttling right at my tail waiting just to spear ahead.

Finally he did.
I guess that’s where his patience lost to my disbelief.

He rode past me.
The gentlest way in which his enduring spirit was yelling at me that buddy you are slow.

SLOW!

I was taking turns and curves at 70 odd speeds and still I was slow!!

Damn!

That’s when I decided to open the throttle, shift gears and race up till Ram who now seemed to be enjoying his ride more than he was doing a little while ago.

The first turn was an anxious one but was smooth.
Then came the second third and many more.

It felt nice.
It felt really, really nice.
And it was fun too.
I could visualise myself as the rider in front of me.

Then I saw Ram disappear into a turn.

Following suit I opened the throttle to get into the turn in the same fashion.
And then I realised the turn was too sharp for me to pass through.
At 70 kmph I was too late to slow down.
I did kill the acceleration.
Instinctively applied brakes which made it worse as I locked my handle.

All I saw in front of me was a pale withering wall which was right in front of me with arms open wide.
Suddenly I saw a thin muddy trail bordering the wall.
I was on it.
A second later I was on a pile of mud and construction material; still breathing!

I heard my heartbeat with Dolby digital surround clarity louder than my engine throttle.

Once I calmed down I realised my stupidity.

I realise now what I have managed to live through to write this piece.

At times life just needs split seconds to make you wiser.

Still shaken up, but with new found wisdom which I learnt in a foolish manner, I decided to ride on.

On the next turn I saw Ram waiting as he must have realised that I was missing from his rear view.

We rode again.

Only this time at my own pace and at my comfort!

Finally, we reached the base so what if we were a little late.
It is any day better than being graffiti over a wall and not reaching at all.

The final count at the base of the fort was 10. Baljeet was the last one to join the gang. The number was much below our expectations. And due to this low turnout the event was overruled. We decided to ride up to the fort which was altogether a different experience.

The same story of full throttle leaning over curves and glide over potholes, too fast and too furious!

I was calm and easy on throttle as I was very clear in my head of the do’s and don’ts.

We reached the top in another 30 minutes with some breaks and stoppages for clicks.

Parked our shining steeds in line and headed to the nearest stall for chai-pakodas. During conversations over cups of tea I shared my experience. In return I received stares, smiles, head shakes and some valuable advice.

By the time we set out to explore the fort, the sun was blaring but the winds made the walk pleasant.

Soon I realised why this event was planned and why it got canned.
Once again understood the term ‘wishful thinking’; in a different perspective.
Fitness seemed to be a concern.

Finally the break ridden exploration ended with peethla bhakris, curd and fresh lime juice.
Yummy!
A tasteful treat.

With tummies full and thirst quenched we rode back in the same formation.

And this time I made sure that I was sensible, confident and most importantly comfortable riding Chaos.

Overall an eventful day, I learnt a lot on and off the track and discovered a whole concept new concept of FULL THROTTLE!

I rode back home with sweet memories and definately wiser than before.

Chaos..

No comments: